Remember when I showed you all the plants we bought at Home Depot half price. We’ll I bought them knowing I wouldn’t get to them for a week at least until my Mom arrived but between both of us (my Mom and I) getting food poisoning and being out of commission for 24 hours and all the other things we worked on, we didn’t get to it. So after I took her to the airport yesterday and got lost on my way back which set me back at least 30 minutes because I totally was not paying attention), I was determined to get that garden dug up (it had been two weeks already!).
Pretty quickly I came across these seriously nasty little buggers. Grubs. Just a couple days ago I mentioned (to my Mom I think…maybe Aaron…not sure anymore) if the reason why we have birds in our yard a lot is because we have some type of bug or grub in it. Now I know. Bummer. I figured this meant I would have to treat it before I could plant it. After doing some quick research and a trip to Home Depot last night for soil and grub killer, I decided to let them go for now. I learned that the grubs are at the end of their “grubby” stage and eat less as they’re about to turn into a beetle now that spring has arrived. When the beetle lays eggs in the ground in a few months will be the best time to get rid of them since when they hatch they like to eat a lot.
We checked our measurements here and there with our tape measure and kept digging. I saved all the sod but not sure I’ll be using it since we have a grub problem. Also, it isn’t great grass and some of it has clover in it so I’m not sure we should save it for other spots in our yard that need help.
After what I’d guess was about a couple hours work (I got a little help from Aaron otherwise I proudly did this one myself) while watching both kids (Ruby partaking in the digging activities and Archer playing on his blanket on the lawn), I had the grass dug out for a 8 foot by 4 foot raised garden bed.
Here’s a close up of the kregged holes. We really wanted to keep this box simple so this is how we attached the boards and we didn’t do any other re-enforcing or worry to much about whether the box was square.
We definitely waited too long to buy this special kreg c-clamp which you shouldn’t live without if you’re a kreg user (but it will set you back $20 plus). You have to have at least two kreg holes to use it since it fits inside one to hold in place while you kreg the other hole.
We did pull out our level to check but we weren’t too wrapped up with making it perfect other than making sure we didn’t slop it towards the house and foundation so that we don’t purposely have water heading in the direction of our basement. We also went though the space with our shovel to break up the earth so that it could be mixed with the soil that we bought to add. We used our little cultivator hand tool to break up the clumps.
And ta da! In just over 24 hours we we’re done! We’ll still need to add some trellis for the snap peas to grow up and water it every day (it’s conveniently located a few feet from our water spout) but otherwise it is done! We kept Ruby busy by having her help us drop the plants into the holes and sticking the labels into the box. I will definitely need to make a little garden map though because I have a feeling those little labels may be doing some random moving from time to time.
We ended up not having enough space for all the veggies and the box was looking sort of small to us in the end. That is pretty funny to us since literally up until the moment we started putting in the garden soil, we thought it was way too big and that we would have to insert a divider so that we’d only fill and use half of the box this year. Ha ha!